Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dye pot

While I anxiously awaited the arrival of baby bunnies (hopefully) I played mad scientist in the kitchen. I LOVE to dye fiber! I pulled out all my vices ie. Kool-aid, Wilton's cake decorator dye, and some commercial stuff. The posibilities are so overwhelming I never know which direction I am headed in so I keep my mind open to whatever I get. Of course, I always seem to want some element of pink so anything short of that would be dissapointing.

Here's the scene of the crime.


Double bubble, boil and trouble! I added two custard dishes with Wilton's dye and stuffed a portion of the skein in each. In the pot is the fusia commercial dye. I was thrilled with the way the colors bled together. I get a little worried at this point since there is no turning back. Fortunately, I liked it.




Oh so pretty!



A side note, this skein of angora is made from 'seconds' or the stuff that most people would throw away. It is mostly matted fiber from the rabbits belly and legs. I really enjoy spinning it because it spins up faster than the 'good' stuff and has a lot of character with lumps and bumps. It does have a slightly cottony feel but is still quite soft.